[R] ordering a data frame to same order as a chr vector

Stefano Calza stecalza at tiscali.it
Mon Jan 23 17:24:12 CET 2006

Hi,

if I got it right I'd suggest to use match (which would allow you to use
also character vectors)

So

tdf[match(tv,tdf[,1]),]

will give you tdf in the same order as tv

HIH
Ste

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 04:09:58PM +0000, Ken Termiso wrote:
<Ken>Let me clarify the problem a bit further:
<Ken>
<Ken>tv <- 1:11108
<Ken>
<Ken>tdf <- data.frame(cbind(11108:1, 22216:11109))
<Ken>
<Ken>
<Ken>In this example, what I would like to do is re-order the entire tdf data
<Ken>frame based on its first column (since the contents of tdf[,1] are identical
<Ken>to tv, just not necessarily in the same order in my problem, but here
<Ken>obviously the tdf data frame is already ordered the same as tv).
<Ken>
<Ken>I would like to use the vector tv to give tdf the same exact order as tv,
<Ken>based on that first column of tdf which is identical to tv.
<Ken>
<Ken>Thanks,
<Ken>ken
<Ken>