[R] Plotting an lme( ) object

Henric Nilsson henric.nilsson at statisticon.se
Thu Jan 19 16:30:53 CET 2006

Greg Tarpinian said the following on 2006-01-18 23:37:

> I apologize for the second posting, my other email address
> died today.
>
> I am using R for Windows, version 2.2.  Here is my code:
>
>   plot(FOO.lme4, resid(.,type = "p") ~ fitted(.) | GROUP,
>        id = 0.05, adj = -0.3,
>        idLabels = FOO$value,
>        main = "Pearson Residuals vs. Fitted Values, by Group",
>        between = list(x = .5, y = .5))
>
> The plot looks fine, but the "adj = -0.3" option seems to have
> no effect on the labels that are added to identify potential
> outliers.  I would like to offset the FOO$value text that is
> currently being displayed right on top of several pearson
> residuals.  How can I do this?

I just checked the code for `plot.lme', and it builds a panel function
that uses the `adj' argument of the `ltext'. Unfortunately, according to
the help page for `ltext' (from the Details section),

"... For 'ltext', only values 0, .5 and 1 for 'adj' have any effect."

It wouldn't categorize this as a bug in R, since R's `ltext' function
behaves according to its documentation. But it sure is irritating.

I've CC:ed Deepayan Sarkar, maintainer of the lattice package, and
hopefully he's able to advise or, even better, extend `ltext' to accept
a wider range of `adj' values.

HTH,
Henric