[R] Can't load Matrix 0.995-1 for lme4

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Jan 19 14:45:47 CET 2006

"Martin Henry H. Stevens" <HStevens at muohio.edu> writes:

> Dear useRs,
> I can no longer run lme4 because I think I upgraded lme4 without
> being able to upgrade Matrix.
>
> I am using:
> Mac OS 10.4.4
> R v. 2.2.1 (updated from 2.2.0 this morning)
> lme4 v. 0.995-1
>
> I tried to use the RGUI  to load the package source of Matrix 0.995-1
> and it seemed to be progressing quite well and then it failed
> providing this message:
>
> make: *** [Matrix.so] Error 1
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'Matrix'

You're chopping too much of the output there. This gives no
information as to why it failed. Missing tools or compile error?

> I could not find a binary of Matrix >=0.995-1 on any of the URL
> respositoires that I investigated (us,uk,at,au).

Someone needs to build it... Delays appear to be slightly larger for
Mac than for Windows (which is still 1 revision out of sync with the
sources, though).

> I would very grateful for any ideas or assistance.

You *did* read section 5.2 of the MacOSX FAQ, didn't you?