[R] Current state of support for BUGS access for Linux users?

Andrew Gelman gelman at stat.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 18 11:57:43 CET 2006

Hi all.  Sorry for any confusion.  At one point, close to a year ago I
think, I put in the effort to get the bugs() function in R to work with
OpneBUGS.  But at the time, I couldn't get OpenBUGS to do much.  After
some effort I got it to work on some simple examples but I couldn't get
it to work on some of my other examples (e.g., a mulitlevel logistic
regression).  In the meantime, Uwe and Sibylle set up R2WinBUGS.  I
still think that BRugs would be improved by an R front-end (basically,
the bugs() function adapted to BRugs).  But I haven't tried to get
OpenBUGS working for awhile so I don't know if it currently fits the
models I'd like to fit.  It certainly wouldn't be difficult to extend
the bugs() fuction to do the appropriate BRugs calls.

In a different direction, Jouni Kerman wrote a function to take output
from chains of iterative simulation--not necessarily from Bugs, they
could come from mcmcsamp() or just your own customized Gibbs or
Metropolis program--and convert them into bugs objects, which is nice
because then you can automatically monitor convergence and look at the
inferences using the built-in plot() and print() options in R2WinBUGS.
We'll try to put this in R2WinBUGS soon.

A key part of a bugs object is the way a vector or matrix of parameters
with the same name is structured as a vector or matrix, not simply as
part of a long vector of parameters (this can be clearly seen in the
right half of the plot() output for a hiearchical model fit in Bugs, and
also can be seen if you fit a bugs model and then do attach.bugs() and
look at simulations of parameter vectors or arrays.

--
Andrew Gelman
Professor, Department of Statistics
gelman at stat.columbia.edu