[R] Taking code from packages

Ales Ziberna aleszib at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:15:43 CET 2006

First thank you for you reply!

First let me assure you that I did not think or intent to just use their
code and use GPL as an excuse.

Although I would like to just make my package dependant on theirs and use
their functions that is not possible. The main reason is that I do not want
to use the whole functions, but just parts of it. For example, I only need
one statistics, while their function computes several. Since I call my
function several thousand times, I want to make it as fast as possible.

I am also modified (although only slightly) the functions, I am a little
worried about naming them as sole authors of the function, since I do not
want to make them responsible for any mistakes I have made.

What I was thinking of doing is:

  1.. Notify the original authors!
  2.. In the Author (s) section of the function help, I would write "Their
name (Modifications made by My Name").
  3.. Use the same license (GPL 2) as they do.

I did not intent to write them as the package authors, since their code
represent a very small part of the whole package.

How does that sound?

Best regards,

Ales Ziberna

P.S.: I did not find any other special copyright notices.