[R] t-test for standard deviations

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Thu Jan 12 20:57:58 CET 2006

Sorry, Ted:

Google on "Brown-Forsythe" and "Levene's test" and you will, indeed, find
that rather robust and powerful t-tests can be used for testing homogeneity
of spreads. In fact, on a variety of accounts, these tests are preferable to
F-tests, which are notoriously non-robust (sensitive to non-normality) and
which should long ago have been banned from statistics tects (IMHO).

OTOH, whether one **should** test for homogeneity of spread instead of using
statistical procedures robust to moderate heteroscedascity is another
question. IMO, and I think on theoretical grounds, that is a better way to
do things.

Best yet is to use balanced designs in which most anything you do is less
affected by any of these deviations from standard statistical assumptions.
But that requires malice aforethought, rather than data dredging ...

Cheers,
Bert

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box