[R] Improving R-Intro {was "Wikis etc."}

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 11 11:18:30 CET 2006

    David> Since R has such an extensive set of extensions,
    David> maybe we need a section in the R-intro documentation
    David> near

    David> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.html#Writing-your-own-functions
    David> titled "Finding existing functions".  It could
    David> explain the difference between base and recommended,
    David> installed, CRAN, and how someone can find and use
    David> things in these areas using help(), '?',
    David> help.search(), help.start(), RSiteSearch(), and the
    David> mailing lists.

That's a good suggestion.
The file to improve is the texinfo source file (the *.html is
produced from it, as well as the *.pdf version of the manual),
is always available from the subversion archive (as all the rest of
the R sources, past and present), the intro manual being
  https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/doc/manual/R-intro.texi

So, yes, we'd welcome (a patch against / an improved version of)
the above file!

Martin