[R] warning message from nlme

Chia, Yen Lin yen.lin.chia at intel.com
Mon Jan 9 18:42:20 CET 2006

Hi all,

Sorry for the sloppy description of problem.

I have a dataset called dense.  I want to decompose the
variability/variation into different components such as wafer, axis,
orientation and data.  These variables are all categorical data.  I
converted axis, orientation and location into factors before I ran the
analysis:

lme(Data~1,random=~1|Wafer/axi/ori/loc,data=Dense)

The algorithm returns the standard deviation of each random effect, but
also gives the warning message:

Warning message:
- not meaningful for factors in: Ops.factor(y[revOrder], Fitted)

I wonder what does this warning message mean?  If the factors are not
meaningful, how can I find out which factors the warning message is
referring to?  Thanks.

Yen Lin