[R] Wikis etc.

Don MacQueen macq at llnl.gov
Fri Jan 6 17:38:27 CET 2006

I don't have any significant experience with wikis, but I have yet to
use any discussion board that was anywhere near as useful to me, or
as easy to use, as an email list.

Discussion boards have a web browser interface. Typically, they
display at most a dozen topics at a time. Scrolling to get the next
dozen is slow, as it requires a download from some web server. There
is a huge amount of wasted screen space. When there is a topic that
generates many messages scrolling through them is slow, as some
discussion board interfaces show only 6 or 7 at a time. Search
engines provided by the discussion board software are limited and
slow.

In contrast, in my email client I can show about three dozen subject
lines at a time, I can quickly scroll up and down through the list, I
can quickly group all the messages with the same subject line with a
single click of the mouse. I can easily and quickly store selected
messages of particular interest to a place where I can easily find
them again. My email software searches very quickly through a huge
number of messages.

Then there's the question of administration and maintenance. Who is
going to set up the wiki or discussion board categories? As far as I
can tell (and that's actually not very far), either of them would
require a lot more time and effort to set up and maintain than the
present email list.

Yes, r-help has a huge volume -- right now, my R-help mailbox has
almost 22,000 messages in it, 2004-01-02 to the present; its size is
about 124 mb. Yes, there is a lot of duplication. None the less, I
find it easier and quicker to scan the subject lines a few times a
day for interesting-looking topics than it would be to go to a
browser and have to navigate up and down through various categories,
looking for interesting-looking topics.

As far as I can tell, the wiki concept is more along the lines of a
reference library, whereas mailing lists and discussion boards are
meant for people to ask each other questions, and give each other
answers. If that perception is at all accurate, I would have to say
that a wiki is by no means a suitable replacement for an email list.
And when it comes to a choice between an email list and a discussion
board, I have a strong preference for the email list.

-Don