[R] A comment about R:

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Wed Jan 4 20:35:17 CET 2006

David Forrest wrote:
 > [...]
 > Any volunteers?

Yes, me (well, partly...)! Here is what I propose: this is a very
lengthy thread in R-Help, with many interesting ideas and suggestions. I
fear that, as it happens too often, those nice ideas will be lost
because of the support used: email! By nature, emails are read and then
deleted (well, there is the R-Help archive, but anyway, threads in a
mailing list is not at all the best tool to make collaborative documents
like those tutorials and co).

I just cooked a little Wiki *dedicated to R beginners* (meaning they can
contribute too, and are very welcome to discuss their problems -possibly
trivial for others-). It is available at
http://www.sciviews.org/_rgui/wiki. For the moment, everyone can edit
and add pages, but I will restrict rights in the future to logged users
only (with everybody allowed to log in at any time). So that we will be
able to track who made changes (authorship).

For those who do not know the Wiki concept, it is a very simple way of
working together in the same documents. The concept has proven very
powerful with a good example being Wikipedia, that is becoming one of
the largest encyclopedia in the world... and also as accurate as
Encyclopedia Britannica (but read this:
http://www.nature.com/news/2005/051212/full/438900a.html).

Here is the introduction of the R (GUI) Wiki:

This Wiki is mainly dedicated to deal with R beginners problems.
Although we would like to emphasize using R GUIs (Graphical User
Interfaces), this Wiki is not restricted to those GUIs: one can also
deal with command-line approaches. The main idea is thus to have
material contributed by both beginners, and by more advanced R users,
that will help novices or casual users of R (http://www.r-project.org).

Overview

* The various documents in the [[wiki section]] explain how to use
DokuWiki to edit documents in this site.

* The [[beginners section]] is dedicated to... beginners (share
experience, expose problems and difficulties useful to share with other
beginners, or to get help from more advanced people).

* The [[tutorials section]] is the place where you can put various R
session examples, or short tutorials on either general or specific use of R.

* The [[easier section]] aims to collect together various pieces of R
code that simplifies various tasks (especially for beginners) and that
will ultimately be compiled in a “easieR” R packages on CRAN.

* The [[varia section]] is for any material that does not fit in the
previous sections.

Final note: working with Wikis requires some learning... So, I am not
sure at all that many R beginners will contribute to this wiki, but, of
course, I hope so. Just let's pretend that it is a small experiment to
try answering requests for another Internet space than R-Help,
specifically dedicated to beginners...

A good starting point would be the following: all people that expressed
interesting points in this thread could "copy and paste their ideas" to
new pages in the Wiki.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean

..............................................<°}))><........
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Prof. Philippe Grosjean
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    Numerical Ecology of Aquatic Systems
  ) ) ) ) )   Mons-Hainaut University, Pentagone (3D08)
( ( ( ( (    Academie Universitaire Wallonie-Bruxelles
  ) ) ) ) )   8, av du Champ de Mars, 7000 Mons, Belgium
( ( ( ( (
  ) ) ) ) )   phone: + 32.65.37.34.97, fax: + 32.65.37.30.54
( ( ( ( (    email: Philippe.Grosjean at umh.ac.be
  ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (    web:   http://www.umh.ac.be/~econum
  ) ) ) ) )          http://www.sciviews.org