[R] Newbie question--locally weighted regression

Gregory Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Wed Jan 4 16:47:37 CET 2006

Using a gam model (package gam, possibly others) will take care of the
link function (and variance function) for you and allow using loess to
fit the data.  Here is a quick example to get you started, though you
should read up on gam models yourself as well.

library(gam)

x <- seq(0,1, length=250)
y <- rpois(250, (sin(x*2*pi)+1.2)*3)

plot(x,y)
lines(x,(sin(x*2*pi)+1.2)*3, col='blue')

fit <- gam(y~lo(x), family=poisson)

lines(x, predict(fit, data.frame(x=x), type='response'), col='green')

fit2 <- gam(y~lo(x, span=0.75, degree=2), family=poisson)
lines(x, predict(fit2, data.frame(x=x), type='response'), col='red')

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center