[R] Bookmarking a page inside r-project.org

Friedrich.Leisch@tuwien.ac.at Friedrich.Leisch at tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jan 3 14:44:27 CET 2006

  >> A solution would be a content-management system that produced the HTML
  >> of the site from some other form of input.  Only the output HTML would
  >> need to be mirrored.  Care to put together such a thing, and import all
  >> the existing pages into it?

  > One way to get around the offline problem is to have a dynamic copy
  > somewhere and then spider and save it (eg. with wget -r).  This would
  > (obviously) require a server somewhere - but with a post-commit svn
  > hook could be kept up to date easily.  However, it is still difficult
  > to view changes to the page immediately.

  > What assumptions can I make about what tools are available to the
  > editors?  Can I assume the standard unix tool chain?

Yes.

  > What
  > assumptions can I make about the people doing the editing?  How many
  > people edit the pages?

For www.R-project.org all of R core have write access, but only a few
actually do it ;-)

  > How familiar with html are they?

Hard to tell, let's assume at least basic familiarity with HTML (but
very good familiarity to the concept of markup laguages per se).

Under www.r-project.org I think all are manual.

  > How are they
  > generated?

on CRAN all package listings are of course auto-generated (mostly
using perl scripts), the mirror list is created using R.

  > Are all the pages under
  > https://svn.r-project.org/R-project-web/trunk/ ?

No, CRAN is not, as it is pulled together from various sites where
maintainers of binary distributions etc. create their parts -> the
CRAN master itself is "mirror" for the pits and pieces (e.g., windows
R base binaries are mirrored from Duncan Murdoch, windows packages
from Uwe Ligges, etc. etc.).

Best,

                        Friedrich Leisch
Institut für Statistik                     Tel: (+43 1) 58801 10715
Technische Universität Wien                Fax: (+43 1) 58801 10798
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10/1071
A-1040 Wien, Austria             http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch