[R] A comment about R:

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Tue Jan 3 11:31:42 CET 2006

Roland,

Yes, indeed, you are perfectly right. The problem is that R richness
means R complexity: many different data types, "sub-languages" like
regexp or the formula interface, S3/S4 objects, classical versus lattice
(versus RGL versus iplots) graphs, etc. During translation of R in
French, I was thinking of a subset of one or two hundreds of functions
that would be enough for beginners to start with, and to propose a
translation of that small subset of the online help in French. This is
still on my todo list, but I must admit it is not an easy task to decide
which function should be kept in the subset and which should not!

In fact, that idea could be, perhaps, generalized into the whole online
help. It would be sufficient to add a flag somewhere (perhaps a keyword)
telling that page is fundamental and to allow filtering index and pages
  ("fundamental only" or "full help"). Even for advanced users, it
should be nice to have such a filter to display only the two or three
most important functions in a new packages that proposes perhaps hundred
online help pages...

Using R Commander is also an interesting experiment. R Commander
simplifies the use of R down to the manipulation of a single data frame
(the so-called "active dataset") + optionally one or two model objects.
Just look at all you can do just with one active data frame with R
Commander, and you will realize that it is perfectly manageable to learn
R that way.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean