[R] help on dyn.load()

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Feb 20 08:13:49 CET 2006

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Feng Tai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I used .C to call the C functions inside R. Everything works fine on the
> linux sever.
>
> I installed cygwin on my windows xp x64 platform and used rcmd shlib xxx.c
> to compile. Everything works fine till now and xxx.dll is generated. But
> when I use dyn.load("xxx.dll") in R, it will open another R window and the
> original R window becomes "Not responding", nothing loaded in both R window.
> Anyone has similar experiences before. Thanks a lot.

It has been the case that you are recommended not to build shared library
objects under Cygwin, but rather to follow the instructions in:

http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/Rtools/

carefully - that is build under Windows using the chosen tools. The other
.dll files you report functioning correctly were built in this way, so the
easiest thing to do is to build in the same way.