[R] R and Power Point

Earl F. Glynn efg at stowers-institute.org
Tue Feb 14 17:00:25 CET 2006

"Erin Hodgess" <hodgess at gator.dt.uh.edu> wrote in message
news:200602140646.k1E6kgWk005773 at gator.dt.uh.edu...
> I am currently saving the R screen as WMF files and inserting them
> into PowerPoint.  While this works, it seems that there
> might be a simpler method.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for the Power Point, please?

Instead of saving to a file first, have you tried cutting from R and pasting
directly to PowerPoint?

File | Copy to Clipboard | As a Metafile

Paste onto PowerPoint page

In PowerPoint, the graphic has no background.  Set a background color (if

Right click on graphic | Format Picture | Colors and Lines | Fill | Change
from "No Fill" to white, or desired background color

Sometimes resizing even with a metafile is a problem in PowerPoint (or
Word).  Drawing the "right" size in R before cutting and pasting often
solves that problem.

For some very complicated graphics (e.g., a large heatmap), use Copy to
Clipboard | As a Bitmap to avoid delays in redrawing the graphic whenever
the page is shown.