[R] OT: any recommendation for scripting language

Mike Prager mike.prager at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 29 20:52:50 CET 2006

"Wensui Liu" <liuwensui at gmail.com> wrote:

> Right now, I am using SAS and S+/R. As a new year resolution, I am
> planning to learn a scripting language.
>
> from statisticians' point of view, which scripting language is worth
> to learn, perl, python, or any other recommendation? (Most likely, I
> will be learning it in windows.) Since I am not in research, I will
> prefer one widely used in industry and related to statistical work.

I would second the recommendation by John Bollinger to look into
Python.  I haven't used Ruby, so I can't compare the two
languages, but compared to Perl, Python has is considerably
easier to understand and maintain. The language is widely used
and is available on several platforms.   The Python Web site
includes tutorials, and the download includes an IDE with an
interface to extensive help files.

http://www.python.org/

--
Mike Prager, NOAA, Beaufort, NC