[R] upside down image/data

Jenny Barnes jmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Dec 11 13:28:17 CET 2006

Dear R-community,

I am looking for some simple advice - I have a matrix (therefore 2 dimensional)
of global temperature.

Having read R-help I think that when I ask R to image() or levelplot() my matrix
will it actually appear upside down - I think I therefore need to use the line:
> levelplot(temperature.matrix[,ncol(output.temp):1], ........)
to get it looking like it was on the globe due to the matrix rows increasing in
number down the matrix in its dimensions on longitude and latitude but the
y-axis coordinates increase up the axis.

Can anyone simply tell me whether this is correct as I find it very hard to know
which way up my data should be and I cannot tell which is correct simply by
looking at it!

Many thanks for your time in reading this problem,

Jenny Barnes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jennifer Barnes
PhD student - long range drought prediction
Climate Extremes
Department of Space and Climate Physics
University College London
Holmbury St Mary, Dorking