[R] logistic discrimination: which chance performance??

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Fri Aug 11 17:33:36 CEST 2006

Bruno L. Giordano wrote:
> Well,
> If posting a possible solution to one's own problem is not part of the
> netiquette of this list please correct me.
>
> Following Titus et al. (1984) one might use Cohen's kappa to have a
> chance-corrected measure of agreement between the original and reproduced
> classification:
>
> Kappa() in library vcd
> kappa2() in library irr
> ckappa() in library psy
> cohen.kappa() in library concord......
>
>     Bruno
>
> Kimberly Titus; James A. Mosher; Byron K. Williams (1984), Chance-corrected
> Classification for Use in Discriminant Analysis: Ecological Applications,
> American Midland Naturalist, 111(1),1-7.

The most powerful approach, and one that is automatically corrected for
chance, is to use the likelihood ratio test for the global null
hypothesis for the whole model.

With classification proportions you not only lose power and have trouble
correcting for chance, but you have arbitrariness in what constitutes a
positive prediction.

Frank Harrell