[R] read.spss 'error reading system-file header'

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Thu Aug 3 20:52:32 CEST 2006

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Finn Sandø wrote:
> My real concern is that the read.spss() function will become obsolete.
> Most of the data I have received in the last year have had those
> problems (and increasingly so), now they have become so serious that the
> import process fails all together.
> Therefore I believe it is important to do something about

Well, we would be happy if someone did something about it.  It still reads
all the files it used to read (which includes all the SPSS files I have
ever encountered in my work).

As has been pointed out several times, PSPP now has newer code to read
SPSS files than the code in the foreign package, and that could be
adapted.

 	-thomas