[R] R performance: different CPUs

Jasjeet Singh Sekhon sekhon at berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 6 01:11:54 CEST 2006

> This would be true of 64-bit builds of R, not 64-bit CPUs.
> [...]
> This doesn't mean that a 32-bit build of R on a 64-bit processor will be
> slower than a 32-bit build of R on a 32-bit processor.

There is the issue, however, of running a 32bit application on a 64bit
OS.  Under RedHat and SuSE this works transparently and I've not
noticed a performance issue, but under Debian's or Ubuntu's chroot
setup there is in my experience a measurable performance hit.  Of
course, one could simply run 32bit Debian along with 32bit R on an
Opteron.

Cheers,
Jas.

Jasjeet S. Sekhon