[R] model comparison with mixed effects glm

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Apr 5 17:08:57 CEST 2006

	  Another thought on checking the validity of the suggested
2*log(likelihood ratio) procedure I suggested:  If it were my problem, I
think I would do some checking using Monte Carlo, e.g., as described in
sec. 2.6 of the vignette "MlmSoftRev" in the "mlmRev" package.  This is
particularly relevant for testing a parameter at a boundary, e.g.,
whether a particular variance component is 0, because the assumptions
for the traditional chi-square approximation to 2*log(LR) do not hold in
that case, as documented in sec. 2.4 of Pinheiro and Bates (2000)
Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-Plus (Springer).