[R] Packages reappear for installation each time update.packages() is run

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 10:35:06 CEST 2006

Both gregmisc and gap have been converted to package bundles and back
again to single packages.  You need to remove them and all their
constituent packages, and then reinstall gap (gregmisc is an empty shell
now).  The problem is caused by the packages which the bundles once
contained.

You should be able to fix gregmisc by

install.packages(c("gdata", "gtools", "gmodels", gplots"))

(after which you no longer need gregmisc), but for gap you need to remove
the former sub-packages and I not longer know what those are.