[R] Packages reappear for installation each time update.packages() is run

Bernt Guldbrandtsen Bernt.Guldbrandtsen at agrsci.dk
Tue Apr 4 09:28:34 CEST 2006

Hi,

Whenever I run update.packages() certain packages reappear over and over
again as packages to be updated. Specifically, the problems appear with
the packages gregmisc and gap:

> update.packages()
gregmisc :
 Version 2.0.7 installed in /usr/local/lib/R/library
 Version 2.0.8 available at http://cran.dk.r-project.org
Update (y/N/c)?  n
gap :
 Version 1.0-3 installed in /usr/local/lib/R/library
 Version 1.0-6 available at http://cran.dk.r-project.org
Update (y/N/c)?  n
XML :
 Version 0.97-8 installed in /usr/local/lib/R/library
 Version 0.99-6 available at http://cran.dk.r-project.org
Update (y/N/c)?  n

Ignore the XML part. XML cannot be updated due to an old version of
libxml2.

Updates of gregmisc and gap complete succesfully. On the next
update.packages() they are update again...

I have no clue what causes this.

The system is a Red Hat Linux 9.0 system fully updated.

The R version is:

R : Copyright 2006, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.2.1 Patched (2006-03-13 r37533)
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

The problem has occurred consistently with a number of recent versions
of R, that I've had installed. The problem has been around with gregmisc
for a while but started to occur with gap fairly recently.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the packages does not remove the problem.

Best regards,

Bernt Guldbrandtsen