[R] Data assimilation / inverse modeling in R

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Apr 1 20:15:05 CEST 2006

	  1.  The "Details" for "?help.search" indicate that it searches ONLY
packages currently installed locally.

	  2.  "See Also" for "?help.search" includes "'RSiteSearch' to access
an on-line search of R resources."

	  3.  'help.search("Kalman filter")' for me just now identified only
"KalmanLike(stats):  Kalman Filtering".  However, 'RSiteSearch("Kalman
filter")' produced 80 documents, and 'RSiteSearch("Kalman filter",
"functions")' produced 18.

	  4.  RSiteSearch("assimilation") produced only 3 hits, being your post
and two others connected to it appearently because two other posters
just "replied" to your post, changing subject and content, not realizing
that the RSiteSearch software somehow keeps those connections.

	  5.  RSiteSearch("inverse model") produce 723 hits, so that's not much
help either.

	  6.  Have you read Venables and Ripley (2002) Modern Applied Statists
with S (Springer), especially the chapter on time series?  I highly
recommend this book and this chapter in particular.  Also, Have you
worked through the vignettes associated with the "zoo" package? If no,
you might find that quite useful. [Are you aware that
edit(vignette(...)) will provide a script file with the R code discussed
in the vignette, which can be viewed in Adobe Acrobat while you are
working throught the examples line by line, modifying them, etc.? I've
found this to be very useful. If you use XEmacs, "edit(vignette(...))"
may not work. Instead, try Stangle(vignette(...)$file). This will copy
the R code to a file in the working directory, which you can then open.]
Also, the "dse" bundle does some Kalman filtering and has vignettes.  =

	  7.  I think I have some familiarity with a fairly broad range of
statistical methods, but I can't guess what you might mean by "data
assimilation / inverse modeling", apart from your use of the term
"Kalman filter".  PLEASE do read the posting guide!
"www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html", then prepare another post
preferably including a small, self contained example to illustrate
something you tried, explaining why that did not quite do what you want.

	  hope this helps,
	  spencer graves