[R] S-PLUS 8 beta program [repost]

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Apr 1 19:51:53 CEST 2006

	  This thread may already contain too many contributions, but I feel
compelled to add something:

STEALING?

	  Insightful was accused of "stealing" GNU software.  On that issue, I
will as the accusor(s) and other to please read the GNU license (e.g.,
at http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html), making special not of the
following portion of paragraph 2 of "TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING,
DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION":

	  "If identifiable sections of that work [software that uses GNU code]
are not derived from the Program [GNU code or derivative], and can be
reasonably considered independent and separate works in themselves, then
this License, and its terms, do not apply to those sections when you
distribute them as separate work."

	  I work for a company that develops and licenses specialized software
for a narrow market niche.  We do not currently connect our software to
R, but we plan to do so in the future, using a completely separate
add-on module that we can distribute free with the source code,
consistent with the GNU license.

	  If Insightful is guilty of stealing when making GNU code available to
their customers, then I'm guilty of stealing each time I apply something
I've learned from a published research report or book.

	  I have not yet contributed any packages to CRAN, though I have
contributed suggestions that have improved some of R's capabilities.
Moreover, I expect to contribute packages in the future.  I would be
happy to have Insightful make my code more widely available (especially
if I don't have to do any more work to make it available to the wider
audience).

FOR PROFIT vs. NOT FOR PROFIT

	  Some years ago, I worked for a not-for-profit research firm.  I was
paid to work there, and my boss carefully explained to me, "We're not
for profit, but we're not for loss, either."

	  I now work for a company that develops and distributes data analysis
software for a narrow, specialized market.  Some of our former
competitors went out of business, because they did not charge as much as
we do and could not afford to develop and maintain their code enough to
compete with us.  Our customers pay our license fees, because they
believe the use of our software (1) saves them substantially more money
than we charge and (2) allows them to provide their customers with
better products at lower cost.

	  I also like the R model, with (a) many of the R core team being
university professors who support R as part of the research obligations
of their job and (b) substantive contributions by many others around the
world who contribute small portions of their spare time to support this
r-help listserve and contribute code to CRAN.

	  I don't agree with the ideologues of either the Right or the Left:
"For profit", "not for profit" and volunteer efforts all make positive
contributions to building a better world.

	  Best Wishes,
	  spencer graves