[R] Plot Data Points in boxplots

Aric Gregson aorchid at mac.com
Wed Sep 28 02:11:44 CEST 2005

Hello,

I would like to plot my data in a fashion similar to a boxplot, but
plot the true data points without a box, just overlay lines of the
summary generated by the boxplot. I have less than 10 observations
within each group, so I think showing the actual data would be more
effective than the box of the boxplot. I have been unable to find a way
to do this.

Here is example data:
> d168teni
  d168dh10i d168hb10i d168icc10i d168rcs10i d168t410i d168tb410i
1        72        52         29         80        39         68
2        76        47         28         68        49         21
3       123        85         87         71       164        137
4        58        47         50         70        18          1

> boxplot(d168teni)

works to describe the data (each column a column in the plot). However,
instead of the boxes, I want the data plotted (in a column) with the 5
summary lines drawn over the points.

I have tried using functions from Design and have been unable to find a
solution. I think I am missing the point.

Any suggestions on where to look or how to approach this differently?

thanks,

aric