[R] Help: x11 position in the Unix environment

Brahm, David David.Brahm at geodecapital.com
Wed Sep 28 00:26:40 CEST 2005

Shengzhe Wu <shengzhe at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the Unix environment, I open a window by x11(). May I specify the
> position of this window by specifying the position of the top left of
> the window as in Windows environment?

I use "xwit" (version 3.4), a system command which manipulates existing
X windows.  My R code for initiating a graphics window contains:

  system(paste("xwit -move 2045 0 -names 'R Graphics: Device ",
               dev.cur(), "'", sep=""), ignore.stderr=TRUE)

See, e.g, <http://www.x.org/contrib/utilities/xwit-3.4.tar.gz>.
(I'm pretty sure I got the idea from another kind soul on R-help.)

-- David Brahm (brahm at alum.mit.edu)