[R] Problem installing packages on Windows

John Field JohnField at ozemail.com.au
Tue Sep 20 09:02:40 CEST 2005

I've recently had a series of similar errors trying to install
packages to R 2.1.1 running under Windows XP.

 > utils:::menuInstallLocal()
package 'randomForest' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
updating HTML package descriptions
Warning message:
unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Program
Files\R\rw2011\library\file25214\randomForest' to
'C:\PROGRA~1\R\rw2011\library\randomForest'

I get the same error if I try directly installing from CRAN or from a
local zip file.

I've fixed it for some earlier package downloads by reinstalling R
and packages, but I don't want to have to do that every time.

Any ideas about what the problem is?

Many thanks,
John Field

John Field Consulting Pty Ltd