[R] stepAIC formula upper limit guidelines

Tate Avery tate_sterling_avery at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 25 00:54:15 CEST 2005

Hello,

I am attempting to refine an lm()-generated model using the stepAIC
function.

My model has approximately 20 inputs and I am trying to determine the best
upper limit scope for using those inputs.

My lower limit is "y ~ 1" and my original upper limit was "y ~ x1 + x2 + ...
+ x20".

This is great start, but I am wondering if some other (more broad) upper
limit would allow for combinations of inputs (examples: "x1*x3" or "x5/x7")
before the coefficients are applied.

Specifically, I am trying to determine what syntax will give stepAIC the
most flexibility to slice and dice my inputs as it searches for the best
possible model.

Any details or references would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you,
Tate Avery