[R] Any package to perform HLM (PROC GENMOD) like logistic regression in R?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 21 10:18:39 CEST 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, William M. Grove wrote:

> I know there are very nice facilities in Pinhiero and Bates for doing
> HLM-type modeling for continuous dependent variables.  But I would
> like to be able to do repeated measures logistic regression, or LR on
> clustered observations (at least with exchangeable correlation
> structures, and preferably with more general choices of
> within-cluster correlation structures).  Have I missed seeing some
> package in R that will do this, more or less the way GENMOD does in
> SAS?  I have not found a package to do thus in my scanning thus far.

Well, you will need to tell us what it is that SAS does (I do have SAS but
my licence code needs renewing which shows how little I use it).

There are two approaches to repeated measures logistic regression, the
subject-specific and population-average approach.  Your description sounds
closer to the latter, for which see the packages gee and geepack.
But GLMMs (the subject-specific approach) are covered in a number of
packages including MASS, lme4 and glmmML.

My belief is that PROC GENMOD uses the GEE approach, and I would not call
that an HLM.  To add confusion, there seems to have been a stand-alone
program called GENMOD which is referenced in HLM-fitting reviews.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk