[R] Solution to non-linear equation problem

Scott Story sstory at montana.edu
Wed Nov 30 18:05:28 CET 2005

	Thanks to Gabor, Duncan, and Peter. I knew the answer had something to
do with solving for a and b in terms of mean and variance. I will build
a function using the equations you provided Duncan and will  look into
using Mathomatic in the future Gabor. Appreciate the help. Peter, this
was not homework but I understand your concern. I don't use listserves
that often but they do open a whole arena for students to get free
information (hadn't even crossed my mind). Just as an aside, I take it
that R cannot solve non-linear equations (since you all gave me
solutions outside of it).

--
Scott Story
Graduate Student