[R] What made us so popular Nov 16-20?

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Nov 29 01:45:34 CET 2005

Seeliger.Curt at epamail.epa.gov writes:

> Duncan asks:
> > Did we get mentioned somewhere (e.g. Slashdot), or was someone just
> > experimenting with some automated downloading?
>
> R was mentioned in last week's (I think) O'Reilly newsletter, which
> included a link to a short article showing how easy it is to get R to
> graph stuff like stock price histories.  That's the publisher, not the
> talking head.

[See other mail for the link]

> For what it's worth, the article isn't worth chasing down.  It left a
> beginner like me disappointed that R's capabilities weren't better
> shown, and that he relied on Perl to do data manipulation.

Er, where did you see Perl being used? The only thing that irked me
(admittedly, I only skimmed the article) was that he was using
regression models to test for correlation (why not cor.test()?) and
speculates a bit wildly about the sign of a clearly nonsignificant
relation. It's a bit superficial, but I suspect that this sort of
paper has to be.

--
   O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Øster Farimagsgade 5, Entr.B