[R] What made us so popular Nov 16-20?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Nov 29 00:52:29 CET 2005

Our main US mirror is cran.mirrors.pair.com, AKA cran.us.r-project.org.
  Pair.com keeps statistics on traffic on the mirror sites, and I got
all excited when I looked at this page:

http://mirrors.pair.com/pair/stats.html

and saw that CRAN was 5th most popular over the last month, getting more
visitors than Apache, MySQL, OpenOffice, etc.  Then I looked at this graph:

http://mirrors.pair.com/freebsd/stats/cran-ip.png

and saw that this is likely due to a huge spike in traffic between Nov
16 and 20.  Our "visitors" (not sure of the exact definition) went from
the usual  <10K/day up to 50-150K/day during that week.

Did we get mentioned somewhere (e.g. Slashdot), or was someone just
experimenting with some automated downloading?

Duncan Murdoch