[R] short suggestion to the R development team

Duncan Temple Lang duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu
Wed Nov 9 18:39:11 CET 2005

I assume you are talking about source() when you say "R file that is
currently being processed".
A few weeks ago I worked on an enhanced version of source.
It allows
* nested source() with relative links,
* looking for files in a pre-defined set of directorys,
* determining the current stack of files/URIs being sourced() in the
nested calls
* recognizing URIs from strings to avoid the need to say
source(url("http://...")

I have this in a package that I have not released, but that I have just
posted at
 http://www.omegahat.org/Prerelease/RSource_0.1-0.tar.gz

It also has a simple implementation of using gpg to manage
encrypted files using an external application.

I have tested the package a little bit and there is some documentation,
but not an excessive amount, shall we say.

And there are some example S files at http://www.omegahat.org/RIO/test
that one can use to test nested source() calls for URIs and examining
the stack of source() calls.

We may put something like this into the R distribution, but
for the moment, it is better to do these things as packages.

 D.