[R] I never made any assumption athat anyone had any obligation to do anything

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri May 27 23:34:33 CEST 2005

Hello, Erithid:

	  I'm very sorry you feel you got yelled at first thing in the morning.
  Please try not to take it personally, though I know that may be
difficult.  After one superficially insulting reply, I just laughed and
told my manager, "Look what I learned for exposing myself to ridicule!"

	  My philosophy on this was expressed last December and subsequently
added to the "fortunes" pacakage, from which I will quote for you now:

 > library(fortunes)
 > fortune("Graves")

Our great-great grandchilren as yet unborn may read some of the stupid
questions
and/or answers that I and perhaps others give from time to time. I'd
rather get
flamed for saying something stupid in public on this list than to
continue to
provide substandard service to the people with whom I work because I
perpetrated
the same mistake in an environment in which no one questioned so
effectively my
errors.
    -- Spencer Graves (in a discussion on whether answers on R-help
should be more
       polite)
       R-help (December 2004)

	  I've heard from some of the best on this listserve that it happens to
everyone.  That doesn't make it right.  If you can learn to accept this
as a different subculture operating by different rules of diplomacy, you
might get more out of this list, do better work with whatever you are
attempting to do, and enjoy life more.  (My wife's middle name is Rose.
  When she gives me a hard time about something, I just try to listen
and console myself with the thought that, "If I want to sleep in a bed
of roses, I must get used to the thorns.")

	  Best Wishes,
	  spencer graves