[R] contourLines() starts a plot device

Pierre Kleiber pkleiber at honlab.nmfs.hawaii.edu
Tue May 24 04:59:03 CEST 2005

I want to use contourLines() to get contour line coordinate vectors,
but I don't want to make a plot.  However contourLines() insists on
opening a graphics device.  Is there a way tell it not to do this?

 > version

platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status   Patched
major    2
minor    1.0
year     2005
month    04
day      20
language R

Cheers, Pierre

Pierre Kleiber, Ph.D       Email: pkleiber at honlab.nmfs.hawaii.edu
Fishery Biologist            Tel: 808 983-5399 / (hm)808 737-7544
NOAA Fisheries Service - Honolulu Laboratory    Fax: 808 983-2902
2570 Dole St., Honolulu, HI 96822-2396