[R] Converting pc files to unix

Constantinos Antoniou costas at mit.edu
Wed May 4 11:03:02 CEST 2005

On 4 Μαϊ 2005, at 11:41 πμ, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Hai Lin wrote:
>
>> Hello R users, I have R script files writen in my pc laptop. I
>> encountered problems when I run those files in R in Mac OS X
>> (10.3.5).  Are there any ways in R that can make .R files executable?
>

> It should work, at once, given you have not used Windows specific
> commands, hard coded paths etc...
>
> Uwe Ligges

Hai,

On the mac, try to open the files in a "unixy" editor, such as emacs,
pico, vi. If your file looks something like this (look for ^M):

first line of R commands^Msecond line of R commands^Metc

then the problem is line endings (that are different between platforms).

To fix this, you can open the file(s) in an editor, e.g. SubEthaEdit
(free for personal and educational use) and then change the line
endings (Format->Line endings->Convert to unix line endings..)

Another approach (useful if you want to batch-convert a lot of files)
is to run a script like this:

  #!/bin/sh
     tr '\r' '\n' < $1 >MKTMP001
     mv -f MKTMP001 $1

You can save this as a file, e.g. call it stripCtrlM, make it
executable (chmod +x stripCtrlM) and run it:

stripCtrlM filesWithCtrlM.R

or stripCtrlM *.R to convert all .R files in a directory

Hope this helps,

Costas