[R] X11 Fonts sizes

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Mar 21 13:02:06 CET 2005

Wolfgang Waser <wolfgang.waser at rz.hu-berlin.de> writes:

> In postscript graphs (pointsize = 10, different sizes in graph adjusted via
> cex) I would like to use different font sizes but get the following warning
> message:
>
> Warning messages:
> 1: X11 used font size 8 when 9 was requested
> 2: X11 used font size 8 when 7 was requested
> 3: X11 used font size 8 when 5 was requested
>
> This is probably not a R but a X11 problem, nevertheless I would be most
> obliged for any help how to actually use font sizes 9, 7, and 5 and others.

The main issue is to have them... If you are using nonscalable fonts,
the available sizes are 8,10,11, etc. Some distributions turn off
scalable fonts because they tend to look ugly compared to the ones
that have been tuned to a particular gridsize, but you can generally
turn them on again by configuring the fontserver. E.g. I have

catalogue = /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi:unscaled,
        /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi:unscaled,

in /etc/X11/fs/config

and dropping the :unscaled should allow the server to generate the
in-between sizes, at the expense of appearance.

Also, notice that the X11 font sizes are only relevant for postscript
graphics if you are using dev.print() or dev.copy2eps(). If you use
the postscript() driver directly, X11 never comes into play. (There
might be a minimum legible size, though. I forget.)