[R] X11 Fonts sizes

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Mar 21 12:56:25 CET 2005

On 21 Mar 2005, at 11:09 am, Wolfgang Waser wrote:

> In postscript graphs (pointsize = 10, different sizes in graph
> adjusted via
> cex) I would like to use different font sizes but get the following
> warning
> message:
>
> Warning messages:
> 1: X11 used font size 8 when 9 was requested
> 2: X11 used font size 8 when 7 was requested
> 3: X11 used font size 8 when 5 was requested
>
> This is probably not a R but a X11 problem, nevertheless I would be
> most
> obliged for any help how to actually use font sizes 9, 7, and 5 and
> others.

X11 default fonts are usually bitmaps, and not scalable, so if you
don't have the 9, 7 and 5 point versions of the font installed, it may
be automatically reverting to the nearest decent point size.  Have you
tried changing the font to something that is scalable, like a
PostScript or TrueType font?

You can also change the X server's configuration so that it will
attempt to scale bitmap fonts, but the results are not pretty, so I
never enable that.

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute