[R] any book and tutorial about how to manipulate data with R/S+

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Sat Mar 12 23:46:54 CET 2005

On Saturday 12 March 2005 14:42, Wensui Liu wrote:
> I am sorry that I did not state my question clearly.
>
> What I mean by data manipulation includes sort, merge, aggregate,
> transpose, data export and import, format, date & time handle, and so
> on, which might be not important to statistician.
>
> I have use SAS and SPSS for a while and really want to use R as an
> alternative computing system. Unless R/S+ can provide strong
> functionality in data manipulation as SAS does, it is hard to compete
> with SAS in business rather than in academic.

Take a look at the 'R Data Import/Export' manual at

http://cran.us.r-project.org/manuals.html

as well as

http://cran.us.r-project.org/other-docs.html --

`An Introduction to S and the Hmisc and Design Libraries' by Carlos
Alzola and Frank E. Harrell, especially of interest to SAS users, users
of the Hmisc or Design packages, or R users interested in data
manipulation, recoding, etc.

might cover some of what you are looking for.