[R] any book and tutorial about how to manipulate data with R/S+

Wensui Liu liuwensui at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 21:42:35 CET 2005

I am sorry that I did not state my question clearly.

What I mean by data manipulation includes sort, merge, aggregate,
transpose, data export and import, format, date & time handle, and so
on, which might be not important to statistician.

I have use SAS and SPSS for a while and really want to use R as an
alternative computing system. Unless R/S+ can provide strong
functionality in data manipulation as SAS does, it is hard to compete
with SAS in business rather than in academic.

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:34:06 +0100, Thomas Schönhoff <tom_hoary at web.de> wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Am Samstag, 12. März 2005 15:08 schrieb Wensui Liu:
> > In real world, data manipulation might take even longer time and
> > more effort than statistical analysis and modeling.
> >
> > Does anyone know a good book and tutorial about data manupulation?
> > Thank you so much.
>
> Well, it would be much easier to meet your demands if you could give
> us an idea what you exactly looking for.
> Anyway, there are some recommendations in R-Manual regarding
> introduxtory materials on doing statistics in R. If I remember
> correctly there are also some advices on r-cran.org in the generell
> FAQ.
> If you're looking for some introductory stuff doing data manipulation
> in R the book of Peter Dalgaard, Introductory Statistics with R
> should be taken into consideration.
> Not long time ago there was a similar question to this list, giving
> the whole range of available books on statistics in S/R . Have a look
> at http://maths.newcastle.edu.au/~rking/R/, you'll will be
> overwhelmed.
> Last but not least, if you look at r-cran website you'll find in
> contributed section some case-oriented tutorials, i.e. data mining or
> similar stuff!
>
> regards
>
> Thomas

WenSui Liu, MS MA
Senior Decision Support Analyst
Division of Health Policy and Clinical Effectiveness