[R] Dataframe modification

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Tue Mar 8 17:19:51 CET 2005

Ramzi Feghali <ramzi_feg <at> yahoo.fr> writes:

:
: Hello,
: I have a problem and wish if anybody have a quick
: solution or function or if this question was asked
: before and you could give me the date to look in the
: archives for the response.
: My problem is that I have a dataframe D[663,40] with
: only  one column with repeated values lines and a
: factor with 4 levels.
: I want to reorganize my dataframe, create a dataframe
: D1[x,40*4] and put the repeated values in one line so
: that all the factors will be in columns. For the
: values with a missing level factor I want to keep
: empty the concerning place.
: For example if i a have this dataframe:
:
: A	B	C

: 32	a	14

: 32	b	22

: 55	a	44

: 55	b	77

: 55	c	55

: 55	d	44

: 83	c	77

: 83	d	55

: 83	e	44
: I want to transform it to have this one:
:
: 32	a	14	b	22

: 55	a	44	b	77	c	55

: 83					c	77	d	55	e
	44
:

Is this good enough?

R> # first solution
R> reshape(D, idvar="A", timevar="B", direction = "wide")
   A C.a C.b C.c C.d C.e
1 32  14  22  NA  NA  NA
3 55  44  77  55  44  NA
7 83  NA  NA  77  55  44