[R] Simple suggestion for improvement

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Mar 3 11:08:57 CET 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:54:26 +0000, Yan Wong <h.y.wong at leeds.ac.uk>
wrote :

>Hello,
>
>Being relatively new to R, I often find myself searching for functions
>using help.search("term"). Why not have the command ??term invoke it in
>the same way as ?topic invokes index.search("topic")? Using a double
>question mark to invoke a wider search for a term seems relatively
>intuitive to me, and presumably would be trivial to implement.

That's not a bad suggestion, but it might not be trivial to implement.
Right now the "?" is an operator that is parsed like other operators
such as "+":  it becomes a function call . To have "??" mean something
special would mean changes to the parser, or a special case to the
.helpForCall function that the "?" function calls.

Duncan Murdoch