[R] Excel files first row not being read

bogdan romocea br44114 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 15:24:04 CEST 2005

You could use a VB macro in Excel to automate the data export in CSV
format, and it's not complex at all, for example:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim strB18 As String
strB18 = Me.Cells(18, 2)
'MsgBox "Export Folder = " & strB18
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
Sheets("Inputs").SaveAs FileName:= _
        strB18 & "\Inputs.csv", FileFormat _
        :=xlCSV, CreateBackup:=False
MsgBox "Data Exported"
Exit Sub
ErrHandler:
MsgBox Err.Description
End Sub

On the other hand, if the specifications call that the input file be
in Excel, then the specifications are _wrong_. See
http://www.burns-stat.com/pages/Tutor/spreadsheet_addiction.html
for details. Keep in mind that when exporting to CSV the numbers may
be written with a limited number of significant digits.