[R] Reducing the FPR (false positive rate)

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Thu Jun 16 14:56:43 CEST 2005

> From: Anderson de Rezende Rocha
>
> Hello R-USERS,
>
> I think some people didn't understand my question. What I want is to
> use the training set to minimize the FALSE POSITIVE RATE.
>
> I think it is possible. I sacrifice ACCURACY to have less FALSE
> POSITIVES. I don't want a classifier result with 5% of FPR and, for
> example, 93% of ACCURACY. I want a 1% FPR sacrificing the 93%
> ACCURACY.
>

> Do you know how can I do this? I really need this because the
> requisite
> of the work I'm doing is only 1% of FPR.

I'm afraid it's you who's not getting the point.  You don't need any
classifier to get minimum FPR:  just call everything `negative' and you have
0% FPR, which is as minimum as FPR gets.

FPR can not be fixed, as it's an unknown quantity.  It make as much sense to
say you want a classifier with a particular FPR as to say that you want a
classifier with a particular error rate.  What you can do is estimate the
parameters of the classifier that gives you an _approximate_ FPR that's
close to what you want, but there's no guarantee that you will get exactly
that FPR on any test set.

Andy