[R] RE: GARCH (1 , 1), Hill estimator of alpha, Pareto estimator

Ukech U. Kidi chuai_juok at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 3 15:37:37 CEST 2005

Dear R users,

Could you please help me out. I am unable to formulate a model in R to
graphs a GARCH (1 , 1) model, the Hill estimator (of alpha), and the Pareto
estimator.

I have a financial time series data from the DAX and CAC40.  I just got
introduce to R. I am working on a paper which must be worked from R.

I successfully imported the data into R. I also succeeded to produce te
qq-plots  and histograms from the data.

My difficulty at the moment lies where I could not go further to plot the
GARCH plots, the Hill estimator of alpha and the Pareto estimator.

Reading from the FAQs of this list, I attempted the following and wasn't
succeesful. Could anyone show me the steps that I might have omited.

Check my errors from the following.

library(stats)

data(DAX_CAC)

Warning message:

Data set 'DAX_CAC' not found in: data(DAX_CAC)

data("DAX_CAC")

Warning message:

Data set 'DAX_CAC' not found in: data("DAX_CAC")

    dax<- diff(log(DAX_CAC$DAX[1:1865]))

    m1<- garch(dax)

Error: couldn't find function "garch"

    m1<- garch(dax[1:1865])