[R] Redirecting Messages and Errors to a file

McGehee, Robert Robert.McGehee at geodecapital.com
Wed Jul 27 16:54:47 CEST 2005

Ahh, I misunderstood the help page. I took that since the default values
for type were c("output", "message"), that both the output _and_ the
messages were simultaneously being redirected (else why not just make
the default "output"). I see that this is not the case (as noted in the
details).

After specifying type = "message", I was also able to successfully send
off the error messages to a file, but not at the same time as sending
the output. That is, do I need to have two sink files, one for errors,
one for output and then append them before mailing? I'd prefer a way of
sending all output/messages to the same file to preserve the order of
the messages/output, if this is possible.

Robert