[R] problem building R packages in windows xp

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Jul 25 08:41:41 CEST 2005

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 24 July 2005 at 19:38, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> | It is already optional, and documented as such as Uwe points out:
>
> Yup, that one I evidently didn't know ... maybe the help on --docs needs to
> be more explicit. Dunno. Or the section in the 'R Extensions' manual could
> mention it too as it doesn't seem to:
>
> edd at chibud:~/src/debian/R/R-2.1.1> grep 'docs="normal"' doc/manual/*
> edd at chibud:~/src/debian/R/R-2.1.1>
>
> | > You can simply avoid building chm files by saying:
> | >
> | >    R CMD INSTALL --docs="normal" MyPackage
> |
> | The reason it is on by default is that is the best option for building
> | packages for distribution.
>
> Hm. I find that a tad backwards as building packages for distribution is (or
> should) be done by scripts. And those are perfectly capable of picking a
> non-default value. Somehow I doubt Uwe builds the almost 600 Windows binaries
> by manual invocations ...

Manually, hence no time to sleep left in a 32 hours day. ;-)

Seriously speaking, I think the compiler is small and easy to download,
and at least I am using chm help as the default help system on all "my"
department's machines. For example, I like the contents and index views
on the left of the window.
Hence a good idea to stay with the default from my point of view. And it
is easy to change it (Duncan pointed out an even more convinient way to
disable it generally on your machine).

Best,
Uwe