[R] problem building R packages in windows xp

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Jul 24 22:09:43 CEST 2005

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 24 July 2005 at 19:38, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> | It is already optional, and documented as such as Uwe points out:
>
> Yup, that one I evidently didn't know ... maybe the help on --docs needs to
> be more explicit. Dunno. Or the section in the 'R Extensions' manual could
> mention it too as it doesn't seem to:

You were looking in the wrong place.  This is a problem in setting up on
Windows, so you should be looking in the R-admin manual.  Quoting it:

"To skip building compiled html help, set WINHELP=NO in ‘MkRules’. In
this case the Help Workshop will not be needed."

You can also do it on a case-by-case basis, as Uwe says, but I think
editing MkRules makes more sense if you don't want to install HHC.
Uwe's option is documented in ?INSTALL.

Duncan Murdoch