[R] poisson fit for histogram

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 23 09:29:28 CEST 2005

What does fit.dist do that fitdistr (MASS) does not in this context?  (It
plots, but that is very easy to do in base R.  However, to see if a
Poisson fits you need a test of goodness-of-fit.)

BTW, `decompress and store the files in your "library" folder' is on no OS
(you did not mention one but Thomas did) the way to install a package.
Even on Windows (where it might just work) there are simpler and better
ways to do it, like using a menu.  Note that Lindsey does not provide
pre-compiled packages for MacOS X, the platform Thomas is using (and as
they use Fortran, people have reported that they are tricky to install on
MacOS X), and your recipe is `seriously' misleading there.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk